Saturday, September 4, 2010

I Don't Want You To Fix My Child!






What if someone told you they wish they could fix your autistic child?

Fix... as in the act of making something that is broken repaired.

Am I being too sensitive?

I do not see my child as broken.

Challenged? Yes, but certainly not broken.

And then in the same conversation this person said, “…but she sure is beautiful.”

Beautiful… as in having great qualities that gives great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, and think about.

Am I the only who sees the paradox?

I do not see my child’s beauty as a compensation for her challenges.

Yes, she is beautiful, but more importantly….

…My daughter is Sahara Grace; She is whole, vibrant, and a perfect expression of herself!!

4 comments:

  1. Nope...have to disagree with you on this one.I think the autistic brain is a broken brain and I would love something that could fix my children. Replace the word fix with cure and then what do you feel? Cure, fix make the day to day things easier for my children...take away the struggles and the trauma from their lives...yep I will take that any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. I slide between the two- fix and accept. The way I see it is that I love my ASD unconditionally how she is right now AND I wish her brain was different....But then she wouldn't be who she is....but then life would be easier for her...and so we continue...seesaw seesaw...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%.

    I guess I'm a bit biased, being an autistic person as well as a parent.. I don't consider myself nor my children to be "broken". I'm flabbergasted that anyone would use the two words in the same sentence, especially parents of autistic children. "Challenged", yes. "Needs assistance", probably. "Broken"? Incredibly asinine.

    Yes, I guess it would be nice not to have so many troubles in my life. Yes I would love to minimise heartache for my children. What parent wouldn't? OTOH, life isn't fair, and being neurotypical is no guarantee of happiness either - my 2 brothers are fine examples of that. Many of my difficulties stemmed from other people's misunderstanding and cruel bullying throughout school. How about we fix THAT!

    (sorry, I'll stop ranting now..)

    ReplyDelete